Tuesday, February 5, 2008

go go go jo!!!


I love musicals. To you that may be reading this post, that is most certainly no surprise. I'm just reiterating: I love them. Granted, Joseph is possibly one of the most cheesy, cartoonish musicals ever written, but it still serves its purpose. As long as at least a few people in the audience leave happier than when they came, then I believe the over-the-top musical has achieved its goal. I love the themes of Joseph. It touches on getting to know yourself, learning to forgive others, standing up for your values, and reaching for your dreams. I think those are nice things to dwell on each night during a performance. Here are a few pictures from my experience with Joseph. ...don't judge my scandalous egyptian clothing...


The theater...The costumes (uh... and the makeup)...





...it was red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ocher and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and azure and lemon and russet and gray and purple and white and pink and orange and gold....

The visitors...



We are so lucky to have such wonderful friends and family that came to visit us during the show. We had a great weekend with Katie and Jeff. Katie continues to be the best agent a girl could ask for. Every time I see her, she gets me excited about performing all over again. We went shopping, we sang songs, she gave me some new music to listen to (Legally Blonde, I highly recommend!), we ate good food, and we got little to no sleep--all within 36 hours...

The next weekend we were lucky to have mom, Judy, and Stevie in Pittsburgh. They all flew in, and we tried to squeeze out as much time as we could. Our time is best summarized by the following list: eat, go to joseph, eat, talk, eat, talk, eat, go to joseph, eat, talk, eat, talk. It went way too fast, and I'm missing them a lot right now.

I feel like I can't adequately express how much it means to me that so many people supported me during the show. Besides the people listed above, I was lucky to have four girls from work come, my previous boss, several members of the ward, my wonderful husband, and several dental students and their wives. I hope they weren't all disappointed to be searching for me in the chorus, but it means a lot that they came!

What a fun experience! I loved participating--thanks for participating with me!

19 comments:

Amy F said...

Oh, Libby... it looks so fun! Wish we could have been on your list of visitors. I'm so glad you've done it... it would be easy not to with how busy it has kept you. I'm glad you still feel energized about your show experience.

I like your go-go costume best! You just look adorable.

Just wish there could've been some video with this post... can we fix that??? !!?

Katie said...

The red wig is my fav! Although the eye shadow is something you should really consider for the day-to-day.

Jill T said...

yea for the photos. how fun to see what you looked like for the play. 2 questions:
1. did they have someone do your hair and makeup, or did you do it yourself?
2.did they pick out which costumes you wore or did they have a bunch that you could pick from?

MJ said...

Go go go Libby, you know what they say...you're amazing! It looks like so much fun to be in one of the cheesiest musicals ever written. And where did you get that eyeshadow! I love it. I only wish we could be there to watch you, eat, talk, eat, talk and eat. :) We're so proud of you!

I hear you are thinking of coming out for Junior Miss? If so, we would love to plan the little one's blessing around that...if he ever decides to come!

paul said...

stevie went to joseph twice huh? true brotherly love. i bet he loved every minute of it.

i like the eye shadow as well...and it hard to tell what the dj and katie's husband are up to...?

libby said...

Jill, we didn't have any say over make-up, hair or costumes. All I did for myself each night was put my hair in pin curls. We had a great costume lady, and wonderful make-up artists who helped us for each and every show. I was lucky to get semi-modest customes... some of the others were tummy-baring mamas! Needless to say, I'm grateful I didn't have to 'bare' anything besides my shoulders and leggies!

Paul, Stevie only came once (his flight was delayed on Friday night, and he didn't get in until 2:30 am). But he claims to have enjoyed it. He says Joseph is a 'good musical'(if there can be such a thing according to Stephen). I know, I had a hard time believing him too, but maybe he's telling the truth!

Mel, I was inspired by the bright green eye shadow to get some green that is a little more subtle... :) I am talking with Mom about trying to make it out to Utah (don't tell Hannah, it's a surprise). I would love to see a little Jonny/Mel baby while I'm there!

libby said...

Amy,
I'm afraid I didn't sneak a video camera into the theater. I should have had DJ record some of it, but I never think about it because it's slightly illegal... :)

Katie,
We saw what happens to people who take eye shadow too far! Little miss Mac Counter is living proof that moderation in all things is a good standard to live by!

Gina said...

Ok...make me feel even worse for not coming to see you! I feel so bad! Melanie and I totally talked about going together one night. Then I went out of town and time flew by! It looks like it was a blast though. I am glad you got to do what you love :)You look HOT by the way!

Stephen said...

hello sister. go go go go....

Brooklet said...

I am totally kicking myself for not going. I've never seen it and I would have loved to see you in it. Looks like a lot of fun, and a lot of make-up.

Amy F said...

Illegal-shmeagal. You ARE they show, Libby... videos requested next time.

Guess Hannah doesn't ever check this here blog?? Sounds like such a fun surprise...

And how fun to see Katie on the blog! What a great friend...

kara said...

You are BEAUTIFUL Libby and we love you!! kj.

Stephanie said...

Libby look great. You are amazing!!! Sad we couldn't make it.

Amy F said...

Looks like they both share good taste for hot eyeshadow, as well.

Pitcherpost said...

Hey i love the egyptian costume. You look so gorgeous, although maybe that first outfit shouldn't see the light of day again. I'm so mad I didn't get my ducks in a row and get tickets in time. I'll blame Aubrey.

kami said...

awesome costume/make-up!! that seems like it was a blast!

Radene said...

Libby--nice blog! Though I wish I could have seen you perform, I'm sure you were great! I love your smile. And wow, that make up job, something else!

Courtnie said...

Libby! I found your blog from Amy's and am so glad that I did! I didn't realize you were in Pitt! How exciting! Check out our blog at cotterellfamily.blogspot.com.
-Courtnie

Amy said...

Wow! Congratulations. That looks like a lot of fun. The make-up and costumes are awesome. It reminds me oh too much of my ballet days.